Official Reopening Plan for Westlake Baptist Church
The following information is the official re-opening plan of Westlake Baptist Church as agreed on by the leadership of the church.
Official Timeline of Events:
- May 15th: Virginia officially enters Phase 1 of the Virginia Forward plan.
- May 17th: Westlake Baptist Church will host a drive-in worship service at 10:30. The sermon will be posted and made available at 10:30 on Sunday morning on YouTube as well.
- May 24th: Westlake Baptist Church will host a drive-in worship service at 10:30. The sermon will be posted and made available at 10:30 on Sunday morning on YouTube.
- May 31st: Our first in-person, worship service in the sanctuary will be held at 10:30. The sermon will be posted and made available at 10:30 on Sunday morning on YouTube.
Procedures For Drive-In Services:
- We are respectfully asking everyone to remain in their cars, as we continue to socially distance. Feel free to roll your windows down and talk with your neighbor before service, and sing along with our worship music during worship.
- When you enter into the parking lot, please park your car facing the main entrance of the building (not in the regular parking spaces). Please leave six feet in between cars.
- For those desiring to bring their offering with them and drop it off, there will be a pull through location where you can do that. We want to continue to encourage you to utilize our online giving platform, or you can continue to mail your offerings to the church or directly to the treasurer.
- Bathrooms will be available for those who may need them during service. We are going to intentionally shorten the length of service, but wanted you to be aware that there are facilities available if you need them. We will not use the traditional entrance to the building; instead, please use the door nearest to Scruggs Rd. if you must go in to use the bathroom. We are respectfully asking that no one enter the building unless they need to use the restroom.
Plans for When We Return Inside The Church Building
- We will only have one worship service each Sunday. It will be held at 10:30 each Sunday.
- We will not have children’s church when we first return to in-person, inside worship services. Instead, parents and children are going to be encouraged to worship with each other.
- We will offer nursery for those who desire to use it. However, we are going to adhere to strict protocol. Any worker with a fever of 100.4 or higher or coughing or not feeling well, is going to respectfully be asked not to come to worship that day. Our nursery also unfortunately will not be able to keep any child who has a fever of 100.4 or higher or other illness symptoms.
- In Phases 1 and 2 of the Virginia Forward plan, we will not offer Sunday school in the normal classrooms. Classes are encouraged to reserve the Fellowship Hall if they desire to meet, or they can use the picnic shelter at our ball field. Classes that can, are encouraged to meet online through Google Meets or Zoom. We hope to be able to get back into our regular classrooms as soon as possible, and we will update everyone when that becomes possible.
- We will host Wednesday evening prayer and Bible study live on YouTube at 7:00 as we are currently during in the initial reopening phase. We will evaluate this as we get to June and beyond. We are striving to create some content for our children, youth, and families during this time as well.
There are some other changes that have been agreed on, and in the near future we will publish those as well. They are primarily concerning how we will observe the Lord’s Supper, how we will space people properly in the sanctuary.
I want to let you know that there have been people who have been here at the church who are working very hard to clean and disinfect everything here at the church, so that you can have confidence when you come and worship with us at Westlake.
I hope you are as excited about in-person worship starting this Sunday as we are. A special thanks to everyone on our leadership team who helped put this plan together.
We can’t wait to see you this Sunday at 10:30 in the parking lot as we worship and celebrate the Lord’s faithfulness!